DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A (Brooklyn A or BKA) advances social and economic justice and community empowerment through innovative, collaborative, neighborhood-based legal representation and advocacy. We represent low- and moderate-income individuals and families throughout New York City. Our clients live in rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods where many residents and small business owners have been displaced or are facing displacement and harassment.
For over half a century, Brooklyn A has provided high-quality, low-barrier neighborhood-based legal services to individuals, families, nonprofit community-based organizations, community development corporations, coalitions, and small business owners interested in developing and sustaining vibrant, healthy communities. Brooklyn A has three core programs—Preserving Affordable Housing (PAH) Program, Consumer & Economic Advocacy (CEA) Program, and Community & Economic Development (CED) Program—each of which has unique initiatives and plays a vital community role to ensure basic needs are met and fundamental rights affirmed.
Brooklyn A seeks a mission-driven professional to provide strategic and logistical support for all aspects of Brooklyn A's fundraising program, including implementation of institutional, individual, and event-based fundraising and communications. The Development & Communications Associate will provide administrative support for all fundraising and donor development activities, including tracking donations, pledges, creating gift receipts and acknowledgment letters, maintaining donor database (DonorPerfect), writing correspondence, and marketing collateral, and assisting with proposal development and grant reporting. The Development & Communications Associate will also have significant opportunities to help develop and grow Brooklyn A's fundraising and communications strategy.
To be successful in this role, you must have:
• A Bachelor's degree in Nonprofit Management, Marketing, Business, Public Relations, or Communications.
• At least two 2+ years fundraising experience with a nonprofit organization (required); and communications, marketing, public relations, nonprofit management (preferred).
• Development and/or communications experience (preferred).
Qualifications and Skills Required:
• Experience working in a fast-paced environment, with a focus on developing mission-driven initiatives.
• Excellent writing, meticulous editing, and verbal skills.
• Self-motivated individual with creative problem-solving skills, and ability to organize and prioritize work and meet critical deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and eagerness to work in a team environment.
• Excellent time management skills, including the ability to meet established goals and deadlines.
• Ability to maintain strong, positive, collegial working relationships with staff, Board, and outside consultants and professional service providers.
• Detail-oriented, with proven experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and delivering assignments within stringent deadlines.
• Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times.
• Technologically savvy, with proficiency in donor CRMs (DonorPerfect a plus), research systems, MS Office software, Constant Contact, Canva, Adobe Publisher, Google products, and social media outlets.
• A creative, energetic, and mission-driven individual committed to realizing the potential of a bold and innovative strategic vision.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging principles and demonstrated ability to interact with client/tenants of different races, ethnicities, ages, and sexual orientations in a multicultural environment.
• Understanding of and commitment to the mission and work of Brooklyn A.
How to apply: If you are interested in this position, you must submit a compelling cover letter explaining why you would like to join the Brooklyn A team and are the best candidate for the job; a resume and three (3) references. Please put Development & Communications Associate in the subject header. Title attachments with your first and last name ("JaneDoeResume.pdf, JaneDoeCoverLetter.pdf."). Only applications that include all requested documents are considered.
Note: Due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot give status updates. If you are invited for an interview, you will be contacted directly.
Brooklyn A is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, a survivor of domestic violence status, or marital status.
Your application was submitted successfully.